Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Please pass this along to anyone interested in internships/fellowships this Spring or beyond. I also welcome you to post any links to public-affairs intern opportunities in the comments section. I'll remove any that look like spam or not related to public affairs.
1) AIPAC – apply by Jan. 1
2) Altria Corp. – DC Co-op/Intern opportunity, look for other Altria opportunities nationwide at cantbeattheexperience.com
3) American Bankers Association – Nov. & Dec. start times listed, may already be filled
4) American Chemical Society
5) American Councils for International Education
6) American Enterprise Institute
7) American Foreign Policy Council *
8) Analytic Services
9) APCO Worldwide *
10) Aspen Institute
12) Atlantic Council of the US *
13) Atlantic Media (fellowships and intern opportunities - publishes The Atlantic magazine, National Journal, Congress Daily, the Hotline, Government Executive and more)
14) Atlas Economic & Research Foundation
15) Blue Cross/Blue Shield
16) Brookings Institution
18) Capitol Hill Opportunities via Hillzoo.com
19) Carnegie Endowment for World Peace – fellowships
20) Cato Institute *
21) Center for Defense Information
22) Central Intelligence Agency *
23) Center For Responsive Politics
24) Center for International Policy *
25) Center For National Policy
26) Center for Technology & National Security – apply by Dec. 1
27) Center for Strategic & Intl. Studies – apply by Nov. 30
28) Center for the Study of National Reconnaissance
30) CNN – John King unit, apply by Dec. 5
31) Coalition to Stop Gun Violence
32) Congressional Management Foundation
33) Conservation International
34) Council on Foreign Relations – DC & NYC
36) Democratic Cong. Campaign Committee – apply by Jan. 5
37) Democratic National Committee – could only find 2007 intern info on site
38) Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee
39) Dow Jones Newswires – summer 2009, search DC location
41) Economic Strategy Institute *
42) Eisenhower Institute - Dec. 1 deadline suggested
43) Ethics & Public Policy Center
44) Farm Sanctuary
45) Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
46) Fleishman-Hilliard PR – list of intern program contacts nationwide, possibly out-of-date
47) Fox Cable Networks – look for National Geographic Channel opportunities in DC
48) Food & Water Watch
49) Foundation on Economic Trends
50) Freedom Forum
51) FreedomWorks – formerly Citizens for a Sound Economy
52) The Fund For Peace
53) HALT (Help Abolish Legal Tyranny)
54) Henry L. Stimson Center *
55) Heritage Foundation
56) Hudson Institute
57) Human Rights First
58) Human Rights Watch
59) Institute for Global Engagement
60) Institute for Policy Studies
61) Inter-American Dialogue – apply by Dec. 1
62) InterAction – apply by Jan. 12
63) Intl. Peace Operations Assn. – apply by Nov. 28
64) Joint Center for Political & Economic Studies
65) Ketchum PR *
66) The Magazine Group
67) Middle East Institute *
68) Migration Policy Institute *
69) NARAL/Pro-Choice Maryland – apply by Dec. 12
70) National Academies – physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, or geology majors only
71) Natl. Assn of County/City Health Officials – apply by Dec. 7
72) National Democratic Institute
73) National Endowment for Democracy
74) National Gallery of Art – Summer and Fall 2009 opportunities
75) National Governors Association
76) National Institute for Public Policy
77) National Republican Congressional Committee
78) National Republican Senatorial Committee
79) National Security Archive – apply by Dec. 1
80) New America Foundation
81) Nixon Center – apply by Dec. 15
82) Malaria No More – not sure if DC- or NYC-based opportunity
83) Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference – Virginia Beach, Va.
84) Military Times
85) One Economy
87) Pepco – Summer 2009 only, DC and other locations
88) Population Reference Bureau – fellowships for 2009 grads
89) Progressive Policy Institute – shows 2008 info only
90) Radio One
92) Red Cross
93) Republican National Committee – apply by Dec. 15
94) Resources for the Future – fellowships & internships
95) RESULTS Educational Fund – at least one opportunity notes a Nov. 30 deadline
96) Sanofi Pasteur
98) Special Olympics of Virginia – Richmond, Va.
99) Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
100) United Press Intl. – also: paid marketing opportunity
101) Urban Institute – research assistants/summer internships
102) US Commission Intl. Religious Freedom – apply by Dec. 15
103) US Institute for Peace – fellowships for full-time DC-area college students only
104) Washington Institute for Near East Study
105) Washington Post/Express
106) Woodrow Wilson International Center *
107) World Resources Institute
108) Worldwatch Institute – no 2009 info posted
109) World Wildlife Fund – some opportunities close in December
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does not have any internship opportunities – but they do offer some resources on volunteering in the non-profit arena
The National Association of Schools of Public Administration also provides a broad-based source of relevant resources.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
The Healthcare Distribution Management Association is seeking a dynamic Director of Communications for their fast-paced organization. Phew – we’re just getting started, and I’m already tired. Those of you with more stamina – and interest/experience in healthcare advocacy, public affairs and media relations might want to look into it.
Military Families United would like to enlist a Director of Communications for proactive, aggressive and responsive earned media efforts. Established media contacts are required; campaign experience is a plus. They also have out the call for a Director of Government Relations with extensive knowledge of current and emerging military-related policy issues and legislative experience.
Children’s Hospital needs a Director, Interactive Communications, stat! Successful candidate will guide the strategic direction, operationalization (!), and maintenance of their web operations. At least three years web development experience and some of the usual web-related skill sets are required. Can also search via main CH career page – use requisition # 1901.
The Center for Clean Air Policy describe themselves as the only independent, nonprofit think tank working exclusively on climate and air quality policy issues at the local, U.S. national and international levels. They have openings for a Government Relations Manager and two or three International Policy Analysts – apply before the stroke of midnight on Dec. 31. Also still listed on their site – but showing an Oct. 31 deadline – is the Brussels-based Director, European Office position.
Amnesty International USA is looking for an accomplished strategist with a distinguished track record to open doors at the highest levels of government, media and other influence-making communities as Government Relations Managing Director. An assortment of lower-profile DC and NY-based opportunities are also available at that link.
The Pew Charitable Trusts has a newly-created Deputy Director, Government Relations position in their also-young (about three years old) GR department. Legislative tracking and advocacy – particularly related to tax issues appear to be main duties. A hefty-sounding twelve years of related experience is required. An assortment of communications and program staff opportunities are also available.
The National Iranian American Council has an opening for you fundraising pros – Director of Development – to help keeps the lights on and the paychecks from bouncing. Internship opportunities also at that link.
The National Parks Association has multiple opportunities to consider:
- Director of Legislative & Government Relations
- Associate Director for Media Relations
- Program Coordinator
- Associate Director, Northern Rockies Regional Office – Helena, MT
Coming Wednesday – for the home-for-the-holidays crowd - just internships.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Brookings Institution – Research Assistant, Project on Internal Displacement – Monday, Nov. 24
Architect of the Capitol – Public Affairs Specialist – Tuesday, Nov. 25
Consumer Data Industry Association – Director of Government Affairs – Friday, Nov. 28
Joint Center for Political & Economic Studies – Administrative Assistant - Administrative Coordinator – Friday, Nov. 28
Small Foundations Council – Program Manager, Corporate Relations (note: pdf link) – Friday, Nov. 28
Metro – Government Relations Officer (note: you’ll have to search further within link) – Friday, Nov. 28
The National Association of County and City Health Officials has 10 communications, editorial, program and research-oriented positions posted on their website – ranging from low to high experience levels. Of particular general interest to our viewership might be the newly-created Public Communications Manager slot ($63k-$78k salary range, apply by January 7). They also have Internship opportunities available – apply by December 7.
Conservation International has the call out for not just any old VP candidate – but rather a dynamic Vice President for Conservation Policy to provide strategic direction for CI’s overall involvement in international and U.S. policy and identify key issues, organizations and fora* in which to engage. A relevant PhD or Master’s degree, and extensive knowledge of international policies related to biodiversity, climate change and natural resource management are just part of the required toolbox.
Toyota is seeking an experienced Energy and Environmental Research/Analysis professional. Primary responsibilities will be to analyze future long-term energy and environmental issues, sustainable transportation, biofuels, climate change & related issues. Engineering degrees and environmental/energy policy analysis experience required.
Can I get a price check on aisle three for two Walmart jobs? Specifically, I’m talking about two Director, Federal Government Relations positions in Health/Wellness and Environmental Sustainability. Three to five years’ experience with issue–relevant House or Senate Committee/Subcommittee is what they’re looking for in particular.
Self-described leading consulting firm Avisar has a (again, self-described) fantastic opportunity for a Public Affairs/Media Analysis professional with a secret-level clearance for classified work.
The Society for Research in Child Development seeks a Senior Associate for Dissemination and Policy to lead media outreach and work on legislative relations at the federal and state levels, among other duties. The Society is affiliated with the University of Michigan.
Exchange Monitor Publications would like to add several Energy Reporters to their roster. Both mid-career professionals and reporters with 1-3 years experience are encouraged to apply – including recent college graduates with newspaper experience.
To kick off this week’s job-search resources, we give you the Foreign Policy Association job board, which features a preponderance of Washington-area opportunities.
* fora – plural of forum. I had no idea.
Friday, November 21, 2008
The National Association of Realtors is looking for a PAC Major Donor Representative and a PAC Coordinator to help open wallets across the land. Fundraising experience is required for the Major Donor slot; administrative/organizational skills for the Coordinator job.
An anonymous public affairs firm has enlisted Plan B Communications to assist them in finding a Senior Project Manager/Director for client service, new business development, media relations, team leadership, and more. Grassroots campaigns experience would be helpful.
HALT (Help Abolish Legal Tyranny), the nation's largest legal reform organization, has undergrad and grad-student Intern opportunities in their friendly-sounding DC offices. $300 a week in beer money is an added bonus.
The Consumer Data Industry Association is seeking a Director of Government Affairs for policy, legislative and regulatory activities. Capitol Hill experience (naturally) and a law degree are required. Apply by Nov. 28.
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies focuses exclusively on issues of particular concern to African Americans and other people of color. They currently list four opportunities available:
- Administrative Assistant – apply by Nov. 28
- Administrative Coordinator – apply by Nov. 28
- Policy Analyst – African Americans & Global Warming
- Research Associate – African Americans & Global Warming
The Center for Independent Media is on deadline to find two News Editors to help manage and direct agenda for two to three of their sites – Colorado Independent, Iowa Independent, Michigan Messenger, Minnesota Independent and New Mexico Independent – out of their Washington offices. Requirements include: minimum of five years editing news at national or statewide level in the region; web writing experience, understanding of policy, legislation and the workings of state government and investigative reporting skills.
The National Academies group (National Academy of Science, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, and National Research Council) is looking for a Senior Program Officer to assist their Policy and Global Affairs Division in their quest to identify and build synergy among their disciplines and issue areas. Masters degree required; PhD in science, engineering or health desired.
Haymarket Media seeks a Washington Bureau Chief for their PRWeek publication. You’ll serve as central editorial contact for your region, representing the magazine’s editorial team – all from your home office in this role.
Friday’s job search tool – Philanthropy Careers – showing 36 jobs in DC alone in the last month, with an emphasis on fundraising/development positions.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
1) Department of Energy – Supervisory Policy Analyst – salary range $115k-$149k – apply by Friday, Nov. 21 – announcement # 09HQMP-PI-38-266
2) BoardSource – Vice President, Governance Research (note: pdf link) – via Slesinger Management
3) Food and Water Watch:
ICF International – Associate, Strategic Communications – job ID Job ID: 47860908002 – main ICF career page
5) Nature Conservancy – Web Systems Manager – search using job ID 10656
6) Ogilvy PR – Account Director, Social Marketing Practice
7) Procter & Gamble – Global Government Relations Manager – job ID ER 00000549 – main P&G careers page
8) Rare Conservation – Director, Communications & Creative Services
9) United Way – Executive Vice President, Investor Relations – via Korn Ferry
10) Unknown association/advocacy group, children’s issues – Legislative Assistant – salary range up to $55k – via Hire Standard Staffing
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Are you inherently nosey? Maybe you should look into a Communications/ Research Internship with the Center for Responsive Politics, where you’ll help them track and analyze the effects of money and influence in politics. Jan 1 is their application guideline for Spring 2009.
Global engineering/construction firm URS has the call out for a Junior Strategic Communications Specialist to work in their Gaithersburg offices. Public relations experience and writing, media relations, event planning, and community outreach skills get you in the door. Job ID URS27743.
Yesterday’s edition featured the National Wildlife Foundation’s Online Grassroots Coordinator - Conservation Programs posting. We should have also taken that opportunity to also note that Sr. Manager, Grassroots Marketing and Operations job – the coordinator’s boss – is also currently listed.
Also available in the environmental area is the Chesapeake Bay Conservation Project Manager opportunity with the Environmental Defense Fund. They seek 8+ years relevant work experience in fisheries or natural resources policy/management, with particular experience dealing with complex policy, regulatory, or legislative processes.
Looking for a unique brand of Capitol Hill experience? Consider an Internship with the Congressional Management Foundation – a group providing management training, consulting, and research services to congressional offices. They claim they won’t treat you like a lackey and you’ll learn a great deal about how Congress works.
A national Jewish women's organization is searching for a Director, Marketing/Communications (scroll down to bottom). Offices in New York, DC and Israel. The position oversees the marketing, membership, and communications initiatives for the organization. Via Association Staffing – several other DC-based association admin/management jobs also available at link.
The Association for Healthcare Philanthropy has an opening for a Communications Coordinator in their Fall Church operation. Newsletter production and email/website outreach are among the responsibilities. Salary range: $35k-$45k.
Well off our beaten path in terms of geography – but surely one of you folks would like to become the Executive Director of the Montana Brewers Association in Billings, MT. Your six-pack of responsibilities: communication, administration, operations, public relations, fund raising, and lobbying on behalf of the association.
Bethesda-based BrowserMedia has multiple web-related jobs to fill, including Project Manager and Information Architect positions.
Today’s job search resources involve the 2008 Plum Book – United States Government Policy and Supporting Positions (official PDF/text version) and an interactive version – www.transitionjobs.us – brought to you by Avue Technologies.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
U.S. Chamber of Commerce seeks an Executive Director, Policy for their Center for Capital Markets Competitiveness. The incumbent will develop and implement policy on capital markets regulatory matters and serve as the substantive expert on related issues. Seven-plus years experience developing policy related to capital markets and a thorough understanding of financial services regulation are part of the desired skill-set.
NARAL Pro-Choice Maryland has Internship opportunities available starting in January – apply by Dec. 12. The Communications Intern will work on a variety of activities in including social networking, newsletter production and preparing news summaries. A Program Intern is also sought to assist with lobbying, membership and other outreach functions.
Edelman PR has Senior & Assistant Account Executive slots to fill. The Senior AE slot appears to be for healthcare-related work, and requires at least three years experience. The Assistant AE is an entry-level position with their StrategyOne unit (although PR internship experience is desired).
Hurry – the American College of Cardiology has been looking for a new Vice President, Advocacy since October. The Veep will manage legislative policy, regulatory affairs, payer advocacy, PAC, Grassroots, and state government activities.
Are you interested/experienced in online activism, grassroots, social marketing, and conservation? If so, the National Wildlife Federation might consider you for their Online Grassroots Coordinator - Conservation Programs position. Successful candidate will work with campaign staff to implement strategic approaches for the mobilization of e-activists. Internet skills and familiarity with grassroots mobilization would be helpful, as well.
This one’s a little bit out of our usual public affairs wheelhouse: the Association for Small Foundations represents 3,000+ foundations with few or no staffers. They are looking for a Program Manager, Corporate Relations (note: pdf link) to help provide and promote the programs and services offered by ASF, as well as manage selected events and corporate sponsor outreach. Apply by Nov. 28.
The American Art Therapy Association is hunting for an Executive Director who is comfortable working within a non-traditional/virtual office as well as traditional office management structure. Some items to note: they also employ an association management firm, the position is a contract offering – no benefits supplied – and, requires just 30-35 hours a week of your time. Apply by Dec. 5.
A double-dose of enviro-oriented job search tools today: job boards from GreenBiz.com – and – treehugger.com
Monday, November 17, 2008
- Library of Congress/Congressional Research Service – Energy Policy Specialist – Monday, Nov. 17
- Bureau of Land Management/Dept. of Interior – Legislative Affairs Specialist – Tuesday, Nov. 18
- Food Safety Inspection Service/Dept. of Agriculture – Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist – Tuesday, Nov. 18
- Food Safety Inspection Service/Dept. of Agriculture – Deputy to Director, Constituent & Web Services – Tuesday, Nov. 18
- U.S. Sentencing Commission – Director, Legislative & Public Affairs (note: pdf link) – Friday, Nov. 21
- National Institutes of Health - Director, Office of Communications and Legislative Activities – Friday, Nov. 21
- GMYR Public Relations – Winter/Spring 2009 Internships – Friday, Nov. 21
- Human Rights First – Media Relations Manager – Friday, Nov. 21
The Architect of the Capitol would like to add a new Public Affairs Specialist to their Office of the Director of Congressional and External Relations. Winning hire is responsible for planning and carrying out the public information, internal information, government relations, and community relations programs – and coordinates visits of VIPs to AOC facilities and events. Salary: $98-$127k - deadline: Nov. 25 – announcement number: OCER-2009-018Takeda Pharmaceuticals has a cool-titled position available: National Director - External Affairs & Technical Intelligence (Search using job number 0800562 or under Illinois-based positions). Prime directives for the ND-EA&TI involve developing public policy strategies in concert with government affairs team and other internal/external stakeholders. A PhD is desired, and the position may be located in DC or Deerfield, IL, according to the description.
Do you have plans to motor west? If it’s in that Prius or bio-diesel conversion, then perhaps you would be interested in the California State Director of Government Affairs opportunity with the Environmental Working Group – in either Oakland or Sacramento. They’re looking for someone with substantial experience in legislative and policy battles at the state level – with California legislative, regulatory and policy experience in particular.
Pharma giant Amgen seeks a Director of Regulatory Affairs (note: pdf-hybrid link) to define and defend their interests on regulatory issues, working with government, association and company stakeholders. You can also search via their main career page, using job ID NB50355026.
Unidentified bipartisan health government relations lobbying shop is putting out the call for a Government Relations Director (Health Care). A minimum of five years experience and expertise in health policy and federal legislative, appropriations, and regulatory processes is required – but “portables are not necessary” – which I imagine means that you don’t have to bring business in with you – they’re plenty busy right now, thank you. Search managed by the Mergis Group.
An anonymous non-profit dedicated to promoting product development and world-wide access to microbicides has engaged FutureStep/Korn Ferry to help them find a Director of Communications. Candidates with relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry or in relevant health care (for-profit and non-profit) organizations are encouraged to apply. They are, in particular, looking for someone who can develop compelling narratives about the impact and value of their company and its work. You can also search here using keyword IABC65088.
An yet another another mystery healthcare-related job for you – an unnamed DC law firm is looking for a Public Affairs Advisor with an interest in healthcare issues for the usual gamut of legislative/lobbying activities.
The Treasury Department has a space for a Legislative Advisor with their Community Development Financial Institutions Fund for legislative and policy analysis and advocacy work. Salary range: $58k-90k – apply by Nov. 26 – announcement # 09-CDFI-015P.
Freedom House seeks a Managing Editor for its bi-lingual website, Gozaar.org, promoting for discussion of democracy and human rights in Iran. The Managing Editor will manage production and English content of Gozaar, and work to expand the site’s offerings. A Master’s degree, writing/journalism experience and Middle East issue experience are among the job requirements.
The American Institute of Architects has their designs on hiring a new Manager, Federal Regulatory Relations. Considerable knowledge of the federal government and its regulatory and rulemaking agencies is the principal qualification.
This October listing for Senior Director, Eastern Forests with the Wilderness Society may be past its prime – but perhaps one of you with interest – and extensive experience - in forest and wildlife conservation may still want to look into it.
Finally – for those of you looking to leave the swamps of the Potomac for Manhattan – Ketchum PR has an opening for an Account Executive, Issues and Crisis Management for which DC–related experience – crisis communications, healthcare, government, public affairs and/or media relations – would make you an attractive candidate.
Today’s job searchers resource – journalismjobs.com. Just four DC-based jobs in there as of today’s posting – but all of them seem fairly recent/fresh.
Friday, November 14, 2008
The Library of Congress/Congressional Research Service wants to add an Energy Policy Specialist to their collection. Chosen candidate will prepare analytical reports, memoranda, and written materials on energy related public policy issues – also participate in CRS seminars, workshops, and programs for committees, Members, and staff. Compensation range: $115k-$149k – apply by Monday, Nov. 17 – announcement number: 080313.
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom is advertising Internship opportunities in communications, government affairs and policy research. Apply by Dec. 15 for the Spring semester (January-May).
SRA specializes in consulting work related to national security, government and global health. Search for Mid-Level and Senior Consultant positions requiring experience in media relations, marketing, and communications strategy design; messaging and branding development, using requisition number 20896BR. They also appear to have a wealth of non-public affairs-oriented positions available, as well.
The American Red Cross seeks a Senior Communications Associate to help promote the work of the Red Cross (and International Red Cross/Red Crescent), and in particular, their Measles Initiative and other international development programs and disaster responses. Duties include Writing and editing stories, creating and maintaining press kits, press releases, fact sheets, speeches, etc. Spanish language skills are preferred, and knowledge of Mac editing systems (including Final Cut, Fission, and even Garage Band!) will also be helpful. Search under communications area of interest, or enter keyword 7387BR.
Don’t fancy yourself as an aspiring policy pro or K Street habitué? More of the high-energy marketing type? Perhaps you shoul look into an Entry Level Account Executive gig with CORConcepts, a McLean-based marketing firm specializing in innovative customer acquisition and retention methods. Even if you aren’t interested in this kind of work, their website is entertainingly out there – especially this slice of backstory - along with an offbeat Career Builder listing.
Human Rights First is looking for a Media Relations Director to contribute to and manage the media components of an integrated communications strategy for the organization. Journalism, communications, public relations, or similar background is desired, as is a tenacity in reaching out to reporters to introduce them to Human Rights First and their issues. Also, they’d like a sense of humor and collegiality. Apply by Nov. 21.
Ketchum PR has an immediate opening for a Vice President for their Public Affairs practice (search under their Washington DC location). The usual senior-level brew of account supervision, new business development and overall leadership is what you’ll be expected to serve up there.
Altria offers a Co-op/Intern position in their DC office. They are looking for candidates who possess superior analytical, written and presentation skills with the ability to conduct research and assess and utilize information in a strategic fashion – and who can pass a drug test, too. You can also find this job by going to Altria’s optimistically-named cantbeattheexperience.com site, and searching the DC location. PR Internships in Richmond may also be available.
The National Cattleman’s Beef Association would like to welcome a new Associate Director, Policy Communications/Media Relations to their Pennsylvania Ave. ranch. The hired hand will build media relationships, manage spokespersons, and write/edit for assorted publications vehicles and channels. Agriculture background a plus. They also have a slot for a Government Affairs Staff Assistant for what appears to be primarily reception and administrative work.
What: Web Developer – Who: anonymous company – Where: DC-based - How: via Robert Half Technology (search under DC location, other opportunities also available) – How Much: $45k-$55k.
Friday’s job-seekers resource – an extensive list of useful sites courtesy of the National Association of Schools of Public Administration.
Bonus Coverage: Are you more specifically interested in public affairs jobs related to the energy industry? Check out our fledgling corporate partner Energy Advocacy + Communications Jobs for career opportunities in the DC area and beyond.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
1) Immune Deficiency Foundation – Director of Public Policy – apply by Friday, Nov. 15
2) American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Manager of Public Relations & Communications
3) American Institute of Architects – Specialist, Web Developer
4) American Kidney Fund – Director of Communications – salary mid-to-high $70k range
5) Anonymous law firm – Attorney/Government Relations Associate
6) Anonymous (probably association) – PAC Coordinator – via Friends & Company Staffing
7) Anonymous non-profit association – Web Master – salary $60k-$70k
8) Boat U.S. – Program Coordinator – Annapolis, Md.
9) Brookings Institution – Research Assistant, Project on Internal Displacement – apply by Nov. 24, salary range $37k-$40k
10) Bureau of Land Management/Dept. of the Interior – Legislative Affairs Specialist – apply by Nov. 18, salary range $82k-$107k, announcement # WO-DEU-2009-0006
11) Charter Communications – Government Relations Specialist – link to main Charter careers page – search under job title using Government Relations Specialist
12) Humana Inc. – PAC Coordinator – link to main Humana careers page
13) Lockheed Martin – Senior Government Relations Manager – Top Secret security clearance required – link to LM careers here – search job # 79497BR
14) Malaria No More Policy Center – Managing Director
15) Merck & Co. – Administrative Assistant, Public Policy/GR – search using job # ADM003738
16) National School Boards Association – Director, Federal Programs
17) Porter Novelli – Senior Vice President, Industrial Food Services
18) Sustainable Agriculture Coalition – Senior Policy Associate
19) TARGUSinfo – Public Relations Manager
20) Visiting Nurse Associations of America - Vice President for Legislative and Public Affairs
21) Washington Post/Newsweek Interactive – Web Designer
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
The American Wind Wildlife Institute seeks an Executive Director for this start-up non-profit organization jointly governed by wildlife conservation/environmental organizations and wind industry companies. Compensation is in the $150k-$180k range; applications accepted until Dec. 1. Search is being managed through Kearns West Public Affairs.
Nothing like an Opera Internship to liven up that undergrad resume featuring little more than a liberal arts degree. Specifically relevant to what we’re pushing here, there is a public relations internship opportunity with the Washington Metropolitan Opera listed among the offerings at that link, where you’ll possibly garner some media outreach experience. Your Dad was right - you'll never get a job with that philosophy major.
Perhaps this opportunity dated mid-September is stale, or perhaps the Lewin Group hasn’t found the right for their new he position of Senior Vice President, State Government Market. The SVP will lead efforts to increase this healthcare consulting firm’s offerings to state agencies, including Medicaid, aging, mental health/substance abuse, human services and welfare, and others, as well as state legislatures, commissions, and the like.
Cool internship alert – Fox Networks notes multiple Intern opportunities with their National Geographic Channel (programming, communications, creative, new media), Search under DC to find them. Bonus coverage: Director of Communications (International) and Communications Coordinator positions with MySpace – both located in Los Angeles – can be found by searching under public relations job category.
The National Democratic Institute provides practical assistance to civic and political leaders advancing democratic values, practices, and institutions worldwide. They show multiple opportunities here for Program Officers dealing with Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Africa – along with administrative and grant-related jobs. (Search under Washington DC-based). They also boast thirteen Internship opportunities (scroll down), as well.
Again, we’ve found some possibly not-so-fresh (first advertised mid-September) jobs for Legislative Director & Legislative Assistant (note: pdf link) for the State of Texas office in Washington, DC. Here’s the entry page for both jobs.
Legal Times would like to retain a Web Editor to manage legaltimes.com and their blog. In addition to technical competencies, a strong editorial background and ability to translate print content into strong web packages is what they’re looking for.
Think Logically, LLC is looking for a Director of Public Affairs. A minimum of five years of advocacy and/or GR/lobbying experience is what they’re looking for out there in Fredrick, MD.
RESULTS Educational Fund is a multinational nonprofit dedicated to generating the public and political will to end hunger and poverty. They have openings for Communications Director, Global Legislative Associate & multiple Intern opportunities. Internships include immediate-hire and Spring 2009 positions.
For those of you with a JD degree, we offer today's job-search tool - lawjobs.com. A few listings there come up under keyword searches for lobbying and government affairs.
Note: This post was previously titled The Lobbyist of Seville. Thanks to loyal reader Heather for the suggestion that Intern of Seville works better (especially given that we used No Lobbyist Left Behind earlier this month). We enjoy and appreciate your feedback.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Dow Jones Newswires has the early call out for a DC-based Intern to work on corporate/regulatory news next summer. Note: search under posted link for Washington, DC location. It appears this position is not posted under the “internships” link.
MWH claims to have planned, designed, built and managed many of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced projects and programs. They have listings for a Vice President/Dir. of Government Relations (as well as a “Sr.” version of the same) in their mCapitol Management subsidiary. If you can hunt through that first link to search for DC-based postings – and if you can develop business opportunities and expand their government relations/contracting reach – you’re their man or gal. DC-based Admin. Asst., Asset Project Manager, and Principal Client Services Manager opportunities also available.
For the open road enthusiasts among you, we offer up two jobs with the American Motorcycle Association – Washington Representative and Grassroots Specialist (along with a Public Lands Manager position, presumably in the Pickerington, OH home base). Send me a postcard from Sturgis or Daytona if you get the job.
Humana Inc. seeks a Government Relations Director to manage legislative issues in areas like Medicare, commercial health insurance, and the TRICARE program. Successful candidate will be expert at “building human capitol” and can “act strategically.” Here’s a link to their main career page, if previous link is troublesome.
I am not exactly sure what the acronyms in the BPR, Public Affairs SME position with Northrop/Grumman in Norfolk, Va. stand for. Primary responsibilities include drafting a range of articles, fact sheets, bimonthly newsletter, pamphlets, brochures, and other public affairs documents, and in particular authoring 50-100 articles annually for posting to their public access website – along with podcasting and other online management duties. Some guesses: BPR – SME – and more SME.
An anonymous nationwide nonprofit located in Princeton, NJ, is in the market for a Vice President of Corporate Communications (scroll to bottom of link) via Hawthorne Executive Search. Fifteen years experience in communications, strategic marketing, and branding might just punch your ticket.
Enough with these far-flung opportunities in Norfolk and NJ – DC-based association management firm The Roberts Group has an opening for an Assistant Director, Government Relations with legislative/regulatory experience in foods, drugs, cosmetics, or consumer products, especially relevant would be familiarity dealing with FDA, EPA, DOT, OSHA, TTB, Customs, DEA, and USDA.
The US Dept. of Agriculture has a slot for a Deputy to Director, Constituent & Web Services to help plan, develop, and direct a the e communications program for the Food Safety and Inspection Service. As the title implies, oversight of FSIS online communications activities is also a large part of the equation. Salary range: $98k-$127k; apply by Nov. 18. Announcement number: W-CPAO-2009-0006.
Also available until Nov. 18 is the Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist position with USDA/FSIS. Duties include: speechwriting for Under Secretary for Food Safety, the FSIS Administrator, and their respective deputies; publications/podcasting management; and coordinating meetings with consumer/industry groups. Salary range: $98k-$127k; Announcement number: W-CPAO-2009-0009.
Are you pro-dissent? Then perhaps you would like to serve as a Consultant to the Defending Dissent Foundation redesign their website and learn to use DreamWeaver. These folks were apparently founded in 1960 as the National Committee to Abolish HUAC.
Our featured job-search tool for today: Opportunity Knocks – specializing in non-profit jobs.
Monday, November 10, 2008
- National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education Consortium – Public Policy Manager – Friday, Nov. 14
- Arms Control Association – Research Associate – Saturday, Nov. 15
- The Brookings Institution – Communications Coordinator – Sunday, Nov. 16
- Internship opportunity at the Project on Middle East Democracy from January-May, 2009. They are starting to review applications today, Nov. 10. They promise substantive work – not “answering phones or sorting mail” in their position description.
- Spring 2009 Internships – Ketchum PR - Students in this program will act as fully integrated members of account teams in one of four areas - Healthcare/Pharmaceutical, Consumer Health and Wellness, Social Marketing, or Public Affairs. Apply by Wednesday, Nov. 12.
- The International Association of Police Chiefs has an APB out for a Program Manager - Traffic Safety Programs. Suspect is believed to have experience with law enforcement, highway safety, homeland security and intelligence sharing. Salary range: $59k-$76k, apply by Wednesday, Nov. 12.
Genentech is seeking two qualified Group Manager or Associate Director candidates to help develop and execute public payer (i.e. Medicare) strategies. If you can identify and have experience with acronymed entities such as like HHS, CMS, AHRQ, IOM, NQF, BIO, CHI, and IAD* – this may be the job for you. Note: search Washington, DC location at link above to find listing. Bonus coverage: there are also additional non-DC government/regulatory affairs opportunities available by searching those categories.
Multiple opportunities are available at APCO Worldwide in a variety of account exec, media relations, new business development, and online communications roles. Note: scroll down page for listings.
Leader Communications would like to find a Web Developer to work with their spy-novel-sounding Information Resources Directorate – and to work on the so-cool Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency website. Needless to say, you’ll need to be able to attain a government security clearance to work here. Seriously – how great would it be to have Directorate and DARPA on the ol’ resume?
The American Association of Museums would like to add an E-Communications Editor to their collection. The Editor will build a strategic e-communications platform for the Association – while also producing a monthly e-newsletter and managing other online content and social media opportunities.
The US Commission on International Religious Freedom advertises three openings: Director of Research and Policy, Director of Government Relations, and General Counsel. This ten year old Federally-charted organization monitors the status of freedom of thought, conscience, and religion or belief abroad, and gives independent policy recommendations to the President, Secretary of State, and Congress.
Ernst & Young is looking for a Legislative and Regulatory Policy Associate Director (search using job # WAS0000F) with expert knowledge of laws affecting accounting profession, including tort reform, securities laws, tax laws, accounting firm structure, operations, and liability. The Associate Director will represent E&Y on public policy issues before Congress and regulatory agencies, and also provide liaison with Democratic Congressional and Senatorial Campaign Committee activities and provide general political and fund-raising support for Democratic Members of Congress.
Election season always makes you think of Ross Perot, right? Well – it does for me. So does this Director of Communications opportunity with Perot Systems for their EDUCATE IT Outsourcing program. Winning hire for HRP’s old firm will work with Department of Education and the Perot Systems team to enhance the EDUCATE program’s reputation and build stronger brand awareness and relationships with program stakeholders. If problems with that link, you can also search via Perot Systems main careers page here, as well.
Sensis Agency is a Los Angeles-based multi-cultural interactive-marketing/web-development firm specializing in helping clients reach Hispanic, African-American, Asian-American and GLBT consumers and business audiences. They require a Director of Government Business Development to work in DC identifying and securing government and related opportunities for the firm.
Healthcare-focused PR firm Spectrum Science Communications claims they are “always seeking dynamic professionals of all levels to serve our health care clients.” So why not drop them a line here?
How about Baltimore? You could be Communications Manager at Good Samaritan Hospital (search under “professional/management/physicians” category), developing and managing strategic hospital communications to employees, physicians, patients, and visitors. Besides the litany of communications competencies required, they helpfully inform us that “regular job attendance is an essential job function.”
Today's job-seekers resource: executive search giant Korn Ferry's Future Step employment site. Does not appear to have public affairs opportunities at this time - but we'll keep it on our watch list for now.
* ok, the last one – IAD – is the code for Dulles Airport. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.
Friday, November 7, 2008
“Clients hire us to win. To get them into the news or get them out of it.” That’s what Levick Strategic Communications proclaims on their about web-page. So, why should they hire you to join them at their 19th & M offices for one of these slots?
- Account Supervisor
- Account Executive/Sr. Account Executive
- Digital Media: Account Executive/Sr. Account Executive/Director
GlaxoSmithKline advertises the availability of one or more Manager, Public Policy & Advocacy positions (note: search Washington DC location or use job ID # 47423). Six-plus years experience working in a public policy or public health setting and familiarity with US vaccine financing and infrastructure system are required. You may also be able to work out of Philly or Research Triangle Park, NC, if the listing is to be believed. Job listing is dated August 11, so perhaps you check availability before putting too much work into this.
Start your young self along the path to a job like the GSK one above by getting a 2009 Internship (starting February) with Sanofi Pastuer.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation shows several vacancies in their Washington DC offices (along with a lot of opportunities in the Seattle HQ). Perhaps there’s a spot for you among the nearly 700 employees of this this laudable organization.
BulletinNews needs an early riser to join their team as a News Analyst/Editor for one of their excellent publications: White House Bulletin, the Frontrunner, the Washington Morning Update and the Congressional News Briefing
The US Department of Labor has a GS 14/15 grade position available for a Public Affairs Specialist. Functions include media spokesperson duty and management of all communications/media-related issues. Pay range: $98k-$149k, apply by Nov. 25. Job announcement # OPA 09-012MP.
Hoya Saxa! Georgetown University needs a Web Content Management Specialist with site development experience in enterprise level java-based CMS; experience with Fatwire content server is highly valuable.
Some anonymous energy association located near Metro Center has a craigslist feeler out for a new Executive Director. Who could it be? You’ll have to apply – and be good enough to warrant their interest – to find out.
Friday’s job search resource is a business.com listing of 125+ PR/advertising firms around the world. Good luck in the search!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
1) Institute for Defense Analysis – Policy Analyst
2) Biogen Idec – Director, State Government Relations - go to link, search for Washington, DC location
3) Burness Communications – Multimedia/Web Consultant
4) Kane and Associates – Government Relations Advisor/Russian Federation - Must be fluent in Russian. От Россия с влюбленностью.
5) Georgetown University – Director of Corporate Relations (via Higher Talent , Inc.)
6) Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development – Director, Public Policy
7) Holy Cross Hospital – Internal Communications Specialist – Silver Spring, Md., job ID # S0701 – or search using this link, look under Professional (Non-Clinical)
8) Jones Public Affairs – Senior Account Executive (note: pdf link)
9) GYMR Public Relations – Internships Available – apply by Nov. 21
10) SunStar PR/IR – Senior Account Executive – go to “Careers” section
11) National Association of Chemical Distributors – Manager, Government Affairs
12) American College of Emergency Physicians – Public Relations Manager
13) Population Services International – Senior Manager, Communications
14) Intelsat – Director, Marketing Communications – search under Washington DC or use job ID # 1396.
15) The Aspen Institute – New Media Editor
* Not a guarantee - for all we know, these are dead-end and/or soul-sucking career options. But that's your problem.